Property Tax Questions
1) What is the assessed value of the property (which is usually less than market value)?
2) How often are properties reassessed and when was the last reassessment done? Generally taxes increase most significantly when a property is reassessed.
3) Will the sale of the property trigger a tax increase? Often the assessed value of the property may increase based on the amount you pay for the property. And in some areas taxes may be frozen until resale.
4) Is the amount of taxes paid comparable to other properties in the area? If not, it might be possible to appeal the tax assessment and lower the rate?
5) Does the current tax bill reflect any special exemptions that you might qualify for, given, for example, my age?